- A relation of events in chronological order, each event being recorded under the year in which it happened. ``Annals the revolution. --Macaulay. ``The annals of our religion. --Rogers.
- Historical records; chronicles; history.
- The short and simple annals of the poor. --Gray.
- It was one of the most critical periods in our annals. --Burke.
- sing. The record of a single event or item. ``In deathless annal. --Young.
- A periodic publication, containing records of discoveries, transactions of societies, etc.; as ``Annals of Science.